Dr. Tina Tambe is one of the most accomplished kathak dancers of today. Tina holds Nritya Alankar, a 9 years diploma in Kathak from Akhil Bhartiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Mandal, Mumbai, M.A. in Kathak from Devi Ahilya University, Indore, securing the first position in the order of merit. She has been conferred with the degree of Ph.D in dance with topic of research Meera ke Kavya main Nritya Tatva – Kathak ke sandarbh main (Dance elements in the poetry of Meera – in context of kathak). Years of study devoted to the theory of dance, coupled with rigorous practical training, disciplined practice and myriad performances have helped her carve a niche for herself as one of the most distinguished dancer and teacher amongst her generation.
Tina started her initial training in kathak under Smt. Ranjana Thakur (disciple of Dr. Puru Dadhich) who has helped her acquire a strong base in dance. Later she continued learning under Dr. Suchitra Harmalkar (disciple of Pt. Kartikramji and Pt. Ramlalji of Raigadh Gharana) who, with her expertise in teaching, transformed her from a raw talent into a confident performer. Tina’s passion to learn finer nuances of kathak brought her to Mumbai, where she took advanced training in kathak under the able guidance of Pandita. Uma Dograji, who herself is a leading Kathak exponent of the Jaipur Gharana and a Gandabandh Shagird of Great Kathak Maestro Pt. Durga Lalji. Rigorous training of the art form under the able guidance and exacting eyes of expert and proficient gurus helped her to excel and reach the heights of beauty and perfection. To date, her Gurus remain a continuing fount of inspiration for her. Apart from this she has attended workshops conducted by many legendary gurus such as Pt. Birju Maharaj, Shri Pratap Pawar, Shri Rajendra Gangani and Late Pt. Kelucharan Mohapatra (only for abhinay).
Dr. Tina Tambe is the first recipient of Pt. Kartikram Kalanidhi Puraskar 2016 given in the memory of great kathak expert and doyen of Raigadh Gharana, by Kartik Kala Academy Indore, established by Dr. Suchitra Harmalkar who herself is one of the best disciples of Pt. Kartikramji. Winner of Nalanda Nritya Nipun Award, Mumbai, 2009 and SHRINGARMANI title 2003.
Tina is also a recipient of scholarship from Department of Culture, Govt. of India for advanced studies in Kathak and recently auditioned for A grade at Doordarshan New Delhi. She has won many competitions at her school and college level and in youth festivals like
- First prize in Classical Dance in Zonal Youth Festival, Jiwaji University Gwalior, 1998 & 2000
- Represented West Zone in National Youth Festival, Calicut University, Kerala, 1999,
- Third Prize for solo classical Dance in National Youth Festival, BHU, Varanasi, 2001
- Third Prize in Akhil Bhartiya Kiran Sangeet Samaroh, Katni, 2003
- Second Prize in State Youth Festival of Madhya Pradesh, India
- Represented her School in State level Bal Mahotsav, Raipur, 1994
Her recent choreographic works includes Navarasa, Diksha, Dwait se Adwait, Water and small choreographic pieces on women empowerment. Tina has choreographed a full length ballet called Ritu Shringaar based on Kalidasa’s Ritu Samharam, and has put up successful performances all over India, applauded by class as well as mass audiences. She has choreographed 15 compositions of Saint Poet Meerabai for her research work, which was highly appreciated by the panel of examiners. She also choreographs new dance items and theme based dance pieces for various recitals to add freshness and innovation to each and every performance. She has also collaborated with the dancers of other classical dance style to create new choreographic works and also worked on themes like Poetry in Motion, Sculptures in Dance bringing poetry and sculpture alive through dance.
Dr. Tina is the Artistic Director of Ninad Center for Performing Arts, in Mumbai where she teaches kathak and trains the newer generation of dancers with the motto of sharing her knowledge, spreading this beautiful art form in the urban society, to pass on the legacy of great gurus to the younger generation, edutainment through dance and to propagate the rich culture of Indian Classical Dances. A Pleasant atmosphere conductive to learning, an approachable teacher who has an impeccable teaching style, excellent results in Gandharva Mandal exams and opportunities to perform, these are the special features that have attracted large number of students to her institute in a short span of time. Some of her disciples have started performing in Young Dancer Festivals at various places and many students accompany her in her own performances. Currently 170 students are enrolled in her institute. Many of her students regularly perform and win prizes at various dance competitions like Malhar, University Youth Festivals, Parle Mahotsav, among others. Tina is a registered teacher and examiner with Akhil Bhartiya Gandharva Mahavidyalay Mandal, Mumbai and also been invited to Judge dance competitions at Indradhanushya (State Youth Festival of MH), Malhar, Rotary Club, NMIMS University, Ideal Foundation, Paragana, ONGC, NGOS, Rotary Club and many more. Apart from this she has also presented her research paper on Innovations in Dance in a national conference at Maharani Laxmibai Collage Indore supported by UGC.
Tina is the Founder Secretary of Ninad Shastriya Sangeet Samiti. Under the banner of Ninad, she organizes regular dance concerts by the name Ninad Concert Series in which more than 70 upcoming as well as established dancers from all over the world have performed in previous 19 concerts. Ninad Concerts have become one of the most important events in the cultural calendar of Mumbai city as it is providing a great platform to all the dancers of India and Abroad to showcase their work in the city of dreams, Mumbai. Dr. Tina also organises workshops by eminent as well as upcoming artists at her institute which give all the dancers of the city a chance to interact, learn and exchange ideas with other Dancers and senior gurus. With no financial support from any Govt. or non Govt. organizations and without the help of sponsorships these events are many a times done on own expense which is an effort to return something to the field of dance which has given so much to her.
Tina has also danced in a documentary film “Mandu jaha moi bekherti hai raat” produced by UGC and in TV serials like “Chittod Ki Rani Padmini Ka Johar”, “Powder,”, “Avghachi Sansar” (Marathi), “Jai Maa Vaishnao Devi” etc. on prime channels like Sony, Zee and also featured in few advertisements. Apart from this she has given voice overs for documentary films of UGC and also compared a four hour slot on Gyan Vaani channel of All India Radio.
Trained by the great gurus of all the gharanas, Tina has created a style of her own which is reflected in a beautiful blend that melds the delicacy of Lucknow Gharana, the vibrant energy of Jaipur Gharana and the excellence of Raigadh Gharana. Years of commitment, discipline, dedication, passion and riyaaz have engendered in her profound confidence and a great authority in presenting Taal (Technical) as well as Abhinaya (expressional) aspects of dancing. These are the unique features that make her performances vibrant, graceful and a delight to watch. Tina has performed extensively, both solo and in the company of her gurus at several prestigious festivals in India and abroad.
- Vasant Ullas, Sant Gadge Maharaj Prekshagrah, UPSNA, Lucknow 2017
( Performance in Birthday Celebration of Pt. Birju Maharaj )
- Natraj Gopikrushna Sangeet Mahotsav, Thane 2016
- 74th Master Dinanath Mangeshkar Smruti Sohla, Mumbai 2016
- Shades of Kathak, NCPA and Nehru Centre, Mumbai, 2016
- Lakshita Festival of Dance, Mumbai, 2016
- 49th World Dance Congress 2016
( Performance at ISCKON Auditorium Juhu Mumbai)
- Khajuraho Festival of Dances, Khjuraho, 2013
- Gopikrishna Mahotsav, Mumbai 2013
- The Nehru Center, London, 2012
- Harrow Arts Center, London, 2012
- Kinkini Festival, 2009 & 2013
- Nalanda Nrutyautsav, 2009
- NCPA, Mumbai, 2009
- Marico Evenings, 2011 & 2013
- Swami Haridas Sammelan, Mumbai, 2011.
- Argya Dance Festival, International Dance Day, Mumbai, 2011.
- Ninad Concert Series, 2010.
- Yuva Nrityotsava by South Central Cultural Zone, at Ujjain, 2007
- Ghungroo Festival, Rewa, by Ustad Allauddin Khan Sangeet Academy Bhopal, 2006
- Kathak Utsav, Kathak Kendra, New Delhi,2005
- Sangeet Nrityotsava,Indore, by Ustad Allauddin Khan Sangeet Academy Bhopal, 2005
- Aaj Ke Kalakar, Ahemdabad, 2005
- Badal Raag, Bharat Bhavan, Bhopal, 2004
- 42nd Kal Ke Kalakar Sammelan, Mumbai, 2003
- 13th Raindrops Festival, NCPA, Mumbai, 2003
- Yuva Nritya Mahotsav (Duet), Nehru Centre, Mumbai, 2003
- Performed for “Rageshwari” sanstha (Duet), Nehru Centre, Mumbai, 2003
- Pratibha Utsav, Bharat Bhavan, Bhopal, 2001
- Performed in a documentary film for UGC programme at Delhi Doordarshan
Group Performances (with Gurus):
- International Documentary Film Festival, NCPA, Mumbai, 2009
- Karl Jenkin’s World Music Show “Adeamus”,NCPA, Mumbai, 2009
- 10 Concert Tour by Min On Concert Association, Japan, 2008
- Jaipur Heritage Festival, Amer Fort, 2005
- Khajuraho Festival, Khajuraho, 2005
- Kala Ghoda Festival, Mumbai, 2005
- Guru Poornima Utsav, AJIVASAN, Mumbai, 2004
- Kalidas Festival, Nagpur, 2004
- Sankatmochan Festival, Varanasi, 2003
- 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th Pt. Durgalal Festival, Mumbai
- Betwa Mahotsav, Madhya Pradesh
- Vaishali Mahotsav, Bihar
- Performed for UDAYAN, NGMA, Mumbai
- Programs for SPICMACAY at various schools of Mumbai and Nasik.
- Kalidas Festival, Maheshwar, M.P.
- Bhakti Parva, Ravatpura, Gwalior
- Akhil Bhartiya Marathi Sahitya Sammelan, Indore
Peformances as Ninad Group (with students)
- Sanskriti Arts Festival, Thane, 2017
- India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, 2016
- Mahakumbh, Ujjain, 2016
- International Dance Day at Mysore Association, Mumbai, 2016
- Natyanjali, Chembur, 2016 & 2017
- Deepawali Carnival, Suriya KLCC, Malaysia 2015 and 2016
- National Conference, Steel India, Mumbai 2015
- Varsha Sahal, Malshej, 2015
- International Water Day, Dinanath Mangeshkar Hall, Mumbai, 2016
- International Dance Day, Carter Road, 2015
- IIM Indore 2015
- Sankranti Festival, Indore, 2015
- Kaladarpan, By Rotary Club of Mumbai Parleshwar, 2012
- Performed at Lokmanya Tilak Seva Sangh, Mumbai, 2012
- Nritya Sandhya, Deshastha Rugvedi Brahman Sangh, Mumbai, 2011
- International Conference of BARC, Mumbai, 2010 & 2011
- International Scientists Meet, DAVV, Indore, 2009
- Kalidas Samaroh, Ujjain, 2007
- Performance at C.M. House, Madhya Pradesh, 2004 & 2005
- Janmashtami Utsav, Janakpuri, New Delhi, 2004
- Gandhi Jayanti Utsav, Bharat Bhavan, Bhopal, 2004
- Ninad Shastriya Sangeet Samiti’s Foundation Day, Indore, 2004